A Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) is a legal document that outlines the hazards that may arise from high risk construction activities and safety measures put in place to control the risks
Under the Occupational and Work Health and Safety Regulations in all states and territories a Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) must be prepared before high risk construction work begins and if anyone’s health and safety is at risk because of the work. However, SWMS can be used for any other work activities.
Our SWMS are developed by an OHS Consultant and generated to fully comply with all of the statutory requirements of the OHS acts and regulations throughout Australia and the Australian/New Zealand Standards relevant to the work tasks.
Our Safe Work Method Statements are not blank templates, they contain the most common hazards and controls measures to manage risk.
We can’t see what’s happening on your site though, it’s vitally important you include site-specific hazards, assess the risk, and make our SWMS specific to your task at hand.
The content of a SWMS should be regularly reviewed and needs to include consultation with workers and other persons.
If you are changing sites or conducting a new activity, the SWMS content should be checked and amended to suit.
All of our SWMS:
- List the type of high risk construction work being done
- Include a risk matrix & hierarchy of controls
- Identify personal protective equipment (PPE) requirements
- Identify job steps and state the hazards and risks arising from the job steps
- Describes how the risks will be controlled (Control measures)
All of our SWMS include provisions for:
- The name of the principal contractor
- The name, address and ABN of your company
- The name of the person responsible for monitoring and ensuring compliance with the SWMS
- The date the SWMS was prepared and the signature of each worker
If you require a specific Safe Work Method Statement for your business that’s not listed in our online shop or requires a high level of technical specification, we can assist you by building a tailor made SWMS to suit your needs. Just get in touch by calling or e-mailing us on any of the contact details listed on our contact us page or by using the online contact form.